Every year in the United States, more than 2.5 million home intrusions are reported. A full 61% of burglaries are committed by forceful entry of a structure. The losses from these property crimes totaled about $16.6 billion in 2013. These are some of the reasons there are so many security systems around the country. It has been estimated that there are about 18 million of these systems being used in homes around the country. If you are on the fence about getting one for your home, here are some reasons to hop off and get one put in.
- Home security systems prevent crime. When asked, a whopping 85% of police say that they believe home security systems that include surveillance systems keep criminals out. About 90% of burglars say that if they see a home has such a system or an alarm, the do not enter a home. Moreover, it has been estimated that houses and apartments that do not have a security system in place are 300 times more likely to be the target of a burglar. Not only are you protecting your home but the neighborhood. When people know a lot of the homes in an area have these systems installed, the crime rate goes down.
- You will lower your homeowner’s insurance bill. Because home security apparatuses are so effective at deterring crime, most homeowner insurance carriers want their customers to have them installed in their homes. To encourage this, they offer special rates for people who have them in their homes. That will mean a lower insurance bill for you, and that is always a good thing.
- Your stuff will be protected. Whether you have all of the latest gadgets of you just like to collect statues of cats, your stuff is yours and you want to keep it that way. When you have a good system in your home to protect against criminals, your belongings have a better chance of staying yours.
- Your security company can let you in if you have locked yourself out. if you are like most people, at one time or another, you have locked yourself out of our home. That can be annoying and if you have to call a locksmith to get you back in, it can be expensive. When you have a security company monitoring your home, they can get you in if you have lost or misplaced your keys.
- You can watch your home when you are not there. Many people like the idea of being able to keep up on what is happening in their homes when they are out or away. When you have a security system with cameras throughout your home, you can take a peek at what is happening there when you are at work, on vacation or just out. These systems can also let you monitor your thermostat, turn your lights odd and on and make sure your kitty cat is not chewing the drapes. With video surveillance systems, there are a lot of things you can do to check on your home. This can help you lower your utility bills and help you keep an eye on your kids.
- Security programs can help if there is a fire. Burglars are not the only threats to your home. Fires, floods, gas leaks are all other issues that can impact your home. You can have your security system installation include monitors for smoke, carbon monoxide and other problems. You can then have the company contact you with any problems that are detected in your home. This can mean the local fire department may be able to get there in time to save your belongings or pets if there is a fire.
- They provide peace of mind. It is easy to worry about your home when are at work or away. It is harder to worry when you know your home is being watched by a professional home security company. They can keep an eye on things when you cannot.
Having a home security system can do a lot of good things for your family and your stress level. Newer security systems can do a lot more than older models and will keep your home safe.